We are looking for three pages to be designed in this contest:
* homepage (for desktops, laptops and tablets when used in landscape mode)
* mobile version of the homepage (for smartphones and tablets when used in portrait mode)
* a 'typical' internal content page
All of these are described further below.
We will also want to engage the contest winner further after the contest on a one-on-one basis to develop further page layouts. If you will not be available for further work, please do not enter the contest.
Our current website is built using the Drupal open source CMS framework (see http://drupal.org) and we will be continuing to use this. Our website currently contains articles, multi-user blogs, sales pages and resources. It also shows testimonials from our clients and a portfolio of recent websites we've developed.
The site is now being developed further internally (development will NOT be outsourced, so please don't ask). This will introduce the following new features:
- Testimonials will be shown on every page
- There will be squeeze / landing pages which will offer free content (guides, ebooks, white papers, presentations, webinars) in return for subscription to our email list(s)
- The site will have a log-in facility allowing people access to premium material, help forums and a client dashboard
- There will be better integration with our social media accounts
- Video will be used more widely throughout the site
- We will be incorporating third party adverts (affiliate) throughout the site
Therefore the site will contain the following types of content. How these break down into the site menu is shown in the attached document (SITE MAP)
- Basic pages (Sales / call-to-action pages describing our services)
- Blog posts (from multiple users)
- Testimonials (these will appear throughout the site)
- Banner adverts
- Infographics (images and supporting text)
Special pages that will be on the site are listed below. If you win the competition, we will want to work with you to develop specific designs for some or all of these pages.
- Contact page (will include a form, map and our office addresses)
- Tools (consists of an overview page that will list all tools and individual pages describing a single tool)
- Web Glossary (spans several pages - an alphabetical glossary of web terms)
- Books and publications pages (consists of an overview page and individual pages for each publication which will include images (of the publication), supporting text and a form to request or buy the publication and supporting pages that appear after the forms have been completed)
- Newsletter pages (archived newsletters and sign-up forms)
- Portfolio (made up of individual posts about recent websites we've developed)
- Meet the team page
- Squeeze / landing pages
- Client dashboard
PLEASE NOTE: For guidance on any specific type of content, please either visit our current site or ask us a question via 99designs.
The designs need to be created as specifically for Drupal as possible. This means:
* The design needs to be flexible enough for us to apply to different types of pages or content that will appear on the site such as blogs, articles, videos, contact pages and so on.
* The design needs to be supplied so that it can be applied in a responsive style (to work on all devices)
* The main body area should be a fixed width around 960px to 1024px.
* Graphical devices should be kept to a sensible level. For any graphical backgrounds that you employ in your design, please be aware that with the Drupal CMS, content and block columns don't always stay the same width or height, so please ensure that your design provides extra area for background images to allow for that variability.
WHAT WE EXPECT FROM THE DESIGN
We want you to go a little further than just creating a "look". The winning design will be one that will consider and be able to demonstrate how people will interact with the page.
Whether this is a static menu that remains in place as the page scrolls, elements that react as people hover their cursor over them or animations, we want to see usability, great creative thinking about user interaction and a brilliant understanding of user interface design.
Every page of the site should follow the guides outlined in the attached SITE MAP). With regards to which of the menus depicted in the site map appear on the home page and what other elements are included on the home page are entirely down to your creative ideas and your knowledge of usability and good navigation design.
You can see the current homepage at webmastercentre.co.uk if you wish, but we want you to take as much freedom to redesign and communicate our brand values, our message and what we do as clearly AND as powerfully as you can.
However, we advise that you consider the content of the site as described above. We welcome any questions that you may have throughout the competition to help clarify your thoughts and ours.
MOBILE HOME PAGE
We build responsive websites that detect the device they're being displayed on and can alter the content, layout and functionality accordingly.
Therefore it is important that we demonstrate this capability fully on our own site.
We want a mobile-friendly version of the home page that we will set to automatically display on any of the following:
- Smartphones (both in portrait and landscape mode)
- Tablets (in portrait mode)
- Devices with a horizontal resolution of at least 480px and no more than 1024px
This design should provide access to the most relevant information for someone choosing to view the website on a mobile device. Therefore please think carefully about what such a user might want to see.
There should also be a link to view the "Full desktop site".
INTERNAL 'TYPICAL' CONTENT PAGE
By typical, this would be the layout that would show any of the following types of content. In other words we expect these all to be similar:
- Basic pages
- Blog posts
- Infographics (images and supporting text)
All of these pages will consist mostly of text. links and supporting images. On occasion (e.g., podcasts, infographics), there will be an "attachments" section that contains files to be downloaded or forms (e.g., careers, partnerships) if the visitor wants to take the next step.
The design of this page should therefore illustrate for us how the following elements should be handled:
- H1-H6 headers (font, size, colour)
- Form elements (fields, buttons, etc.)
- Lists of content (such as a list of teaser blog posts)
- Both horizontal and vertical menus (a combination of these may be used throughout the site)
- Bullet lists
- Pull quotes (see attached file)
- Sidebars (left and/or right depending on your design)
We will need the final design supplied as a layered RGB file. We would prefer that in PNG format (for Fireworks CS6) or PSD (for Photoshop CS6). Please label all layers with meaningful names. Please also remove any unnecessary layers.