Our website, TriFind.com, is in need of a major face lift.
The top 3 designers in this contest will be paid! $400 for 1st, $100for 2nd, and $50 for 3rd. I appreciate the time that each designer putsinto my contest, and want to make sure that even if you don't win, youstill have a chance to make some money for your excellent work.
This contest if for the design of a single page design only. The winnerwill only need to provide a .psd file, and no HTML or coding isrequired. I would like to offer the winning designer continued work tohelp design the content area layout for several other pages.
Ourusers come to our site looking for easy access to information aboutlocal triathlon sporting events in their area. The main content theyare looking for needs to be top priority and stand out above the otherelements on the page. As owners of the site, we make our money frombanner ads. We have specific areas of the page that we have alreadysold advertising space for, so we need to maintain the positions of theads in the new design. The ad space is important, but I don't want itto distract too much from the core information that the users are onthe site to read.
Rough Layout Mockup
I have created a rough mockup of the site for you to preview here http://www.vidacycles.com/newlayout2/
Notes on the mockup:
- All of the page elements on this mock need to remain in theircurrent positions and dimension, but the shapes, colors, fonts, boxes,etc all can, and should be changed to look better. I need your sense ofdesign and creativity here!
- The top left area of the page (where it says TriFind.com and theBox Ad), will end up being in a DIV that is fixed in position, and therest of the page will scroll under it. Take that into account in yourdesign so that the navigation section under that area will "collapse"into it cleanly. If you are confused, see how the navigation on my mockmoved up behind that top left box as you scroll down on the page.
- Everything but the main content area will be reused as a template forother pages. The main content area will need to be able to grow in sizevertically for other pages, so keep that in mind in your design.
- Inmy mock, I like how the main content area is white, all the ads are inplaced on a grey background, and all the navigation is mostly in blue.What I like about that is that the focus is drawn to the content. Theads and the menu are each clearly grouped. Since there is a lot goingon on the page, I think that helps the user to quickly figure out whereeverything is. Again, I don't care so much about the colors or shaped,I just am pointing out that I like the grouping and highlighting ofthese main areas: Content, Navigation, Ads.
- The page should be designed to be 1,000px wide. It will be leftaligned, and a background can be used to fill up the page to the righton a wide monitor. Other things i like:
- Web 2.0 feel: Gradient fills, rounded corners, etc.
- Icons identifying section: Calendars, Newspapers for news, etc. Main Content Area
Themain content area for this page will be the landing page for allTriathlon related information for a given state. The top of the pageshould read "New Hampshire Triathlon Info", and below that should be aspace for an image up to 600x200 px. (you can usehttp://www.trifind.net/b/BBSC/rage09.jpg as an example). Below thatthere are 7 main content areas that need to be included. Here they arelisted in order of importance:
1) "Triathlon Race Calendar"
Here we will show a list of the 10 next upcoming races. The race date,name, and city should be displayed. At the bottom should be a veryprominent link to "See Full Race Calendar".
2) "Popular Searches"
This will list the following search terms with the number of races next to it in parenthesis.
- Beginner Triathlons (23)
- Women's Triathlons (34)
- Kid's Triathlons (5)
- Offroad Triathlons (7)
- 1/2 Iron Distance Triathlons (6)
- Iron Distance Triathlons (2)3) "Search by Zip Radius"
Show the text "Find triathlons close to you:", a text box to enter their zip code, a drop down box for radius in miles, and a submitbutton.
4) "Local Triathlon Clubs"
This will list 10 club names and the city that they are in.
5) "Local Triathlon Coaches"
This will list 10 coaches names and the city that they are in.
6) "Other Local Events"
This will show the following list of other sport types with the count of events in parenthesis.
- Running (20)
- Cycling (15)
- Swimming (9)
- Adventure Races (2)
- Running (50)
- Triathlons (129)
- Dualthlons (89)
- Aquathlons (3)
- Aquabike (5)
- Other (43)7) "Past Race Results"
This will show a list of the last 5 years for results:
- 2008 Triathlon Results
- 2007 Triathlon Results
- 2006 Triathlon Results
- 2005 Triathlon Results
- 2004 Triathlon Results
- Older Triathlon Results