shops.ch is a shop-in-shop platform in Switzerland. We don't sell own products but we work with big Swiss retailers who sell their products on our website. You can compare big parts of the business model with amazon.
There are a lot of different categories. From electronic products, to classical online products (Books, Games and Movies) to fashion, toys and jewelry.
So we get data from different sellers with different data structure and volume to different categories. This is why it's a challenge to design an article page which has a nice overview and which is dynamic on our needs.
shops.ch has over 1,7 Mio registered users in every class of age and in nearly every social segment. There are young digital natives and there are elder people who are not that online affine.
On shops we have two kind of navigations
- On the one hand there is a classical "top-down navigation" what means that the point of entry is the homepage of shops.ch. They come via search or navigation on the article page.
- On the other hand there is a "bottom-up navigation". This means the traffic comes directly on the article page (from ricardo.ch our linked website or from SEO traffic). The article page should be able to "catch" the users who has this point of entry and make them stay/browse on the site.
As the data we get is quite different (long/small descriptions, lot/less of attributes, lot/less of pictures, etc.) it's important to get a "dynamic design".
If there is a long description or a short description the design is able to keep a nice view without any space holders or empty areas.
Elements which are on the article page:
Page header (header.png)
There should be no changes in this element (maybe small changes)
At the moment there is no category tree on the article page. But as there are a lot of customers which has the article page as "page of entry" there is a need to embed the category tree (categories.png)
Seller information (seller.png):
- Seller's General conditions (link to a PDF)
- Payment options (prepayment, invoice, credit card)
- Shipping info (text field)
- Seller's logo
Article configuration / price box (configuration.png):
- Number of articles
And possible information:
- Color / size dropdowns
- Special prices (19.90 instead 29.90)
- Additional articles (checkboxes) like 2-year-warranty, +4 GB RAM, etc.
Article information (elements.png)
- Images: 1-9 images/article. On the image there should be a "zoom-function"
- Description: Different from article to article. From short text elements to big html descriptions.
- Attributes: like brand, EAN codes, etc.
Cross-selling articles(in development)
We would like to embed cross-selling articles. Means linking on other products (f.e. from a "Playstation 3" to "PS3 Controller"). It includes a thumbnail, a title and the price.
- Social bookmarks (Facebook and twitter)
- Next product (jump on next product)
- Bread crump navigation (category)
Article page examples:
- Average filled article page: http://shops.ricardo.ch/kategorien/…in4631655/
- Big description (with HTML) and multiple pictures: http://shops.ricardo.ch/kategorien/…in4706573/
- Nearly no Description: http://shops.ricardo.ch/kategorien/…in5024892/